Shadow Box Card Tutorial

Hello there!  I had some questions regarding my Shaddow Box Card from THIS POST and thought I would do a quick tutorial on how to do it (although it is pretty picture heavy so probably not as quick as I thought it would be hahah) :o)  Also, it has been a while since I did a tutorial, so bear with me!

Step1 - Start out with a 12x12 sheet of double sided designer paper. It is important that it is double sided as both sides are visible on the finished card.  Cut the end off the paper at 9.5 inches. Select which side of the paper you wish to be on the outside. I tend to work with that side up to score, but it is up to you :o)


Step 2 - With the paper horizontally, score at 1 1/4 inch, 3 5/8 inch, 8 3/8 inch and 10 3/4 inch


Step 3 - Turn your paper vertically, and score at 2 3/8 inch and 7 1/8 inches


Step 4 - Using your scoring tool, ensure all scores are nice and sharp.

Step 5 - Fold in one side at the 3 5/8 inch score and then fold the 1 1/4 inch flap back.

Step 6 - Repeat on the other side and then flatten with your scoring tool

Step 7 - Unfold your 'wings' and fold the top and bottom sections into the middle and flatten with your score tool.

Step 8 - Now is the tricky bit. Unfold the top and bottom again, and fold the sides back in. Unfold the flap and holding your score tool diagonally along the square that is formed by the scores, fold the corner up.  Repeat this on all four corners.


You can see from this pic that the 'flaps' are not folded in this process.

This is what your paper will look like:

Step 9 - Unfold your paper again...

Step 10 - (oops pic is a bit blurry, sorry!) Fold one side piece in and carefully pull one of the triangle sections down from the top, repeat from the bottom


Step 11 - Then fold the flap piece back over this section


Step 12 - Repeat on the other side.  Flatten everything out with your score tool so the edges are nice and crisp.


 Step 13 - If you now carefully pull open the flap pieces, your box will open to look like this....


Step 14 - Carefully ease in the top and bottom edges at the points so the box will now collapse inwards when you close it

Step 15 - Use your score tool again to flatten everything out.

Step 16 - with the remaining piece of patterned paper we cut off at the beginning, we can make a belly band.   The finished card measures approx 4 3/4 inches.

 I haven't finished my shadow box card today - you'll have to wait until Sunday to see the finished product - hint hint...... !!  I hope the instructions make sense! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to leave me a comment or email me and I will do my best to help. Sorry all of my measurements are in inches. My score board is imperial, lol. If I get a chance at some stage, I'll convert them to metric for you.

Also - don't forget to enter my candy!! See the sidebar on the top left!!

Thanks for your visit! Hugs xx

Comments

  1. This is awesome Kylie thankyou. Mine I make only comes out to 4 1/4 inches. Will have to give it a try :)

    Hugs, Brown xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW KYLIE!!
    thank You, this is awesome :)
    Love this tut, going to have to try it sometime :)
    Definately a keeper :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. I love to try and make one for my grandson for christmas. I will try this sometime.
    Kathleen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kylie!
    This looks awsome and I can't wait to see the finished result :)
    Great explaining, will try this :)
    Thanks weetie and a big hug to you
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you so much for this hun. I had lost my template with all the measurements on, so this is just so perfect. Thanks sooo much forthis hun, it´s really apreciated very much, and it looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kylie, love this toturial! This will make for such a lovely card ehh box!! Hugs ,Frea

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes perfect sense Kylie and the photographs are perfect. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this tutorial, I know how time consuming they can be. Lee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this very nice tutorial ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog, I'm now following it. Thanks for tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial, I'm going to try it soon.

    Marie-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing this hunni - I HAVE to try it! hugs, Jane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just got a scoreboard... gotta try this!
    Crafty Hugs,
    Pendra

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear what you think of my creations. Please leave a comment or ask any questions.